Friday, May 30, 2008

Old Wives Tales


I had to work my first full day (9-6) of the year today. I've been dreading it for 6 months. I told everyone last week at work that I'm pregnant and some reactions were awesome, and most all the rest were awkward. It seems now that everyone has advice to give me. I really appreciate the advice, but today I got some interesting advice that made me paranoid for a couple of hours and then with some help it was deemed as an old wives tale that people I work with still think is true.

I was working the drive up this morning when an hour after opening a co-worker came up to me and told me that I shouldn't be working in the drive up because I have to reach for the tubes. Supposedly when you're pregnant and you reach above your head your baby's umbilical cord can lose circulation and cause a miscarriage... I was freaked out at first because when she said this a couple of other girls confirmed that it was true and then told me to quit doing the tubes. I sat down working the drawer instead, and I decided to email my sisters and Casey so they could find out for me. My first thought was that it was false, however, they were so adamant about it that I thought maybe there could be some truth to it. A while later I felt dumb because I got definite "it's an old wives tale" answers from Casey and the sisters. I felt dumb afterwards because it doesn't make ANY logical sense to be true. Even with my physiological/anatomical knowledge I couldn't come up with why that could be an issue.

Now I'm just glad that I can keep working in the drive up!

2 comments:

Joey Shepherd said...

I'm really glad that is not true because that is where I work most of the time.

David and Jodee said...

Hey was it your b-day yesterday?