Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Engagment Anniversary

On Sunday (May 25th) it was our engagement anniversary so I wanted to write a little bit about our engagement story. After attempting to plan stuff for our wedding but not being "officially" engaged for a month I was ready to get a ring and be officially engaged (My parent's said planning was off limits until he gave me a ring). We had been looking for rings since the first of May but I didn't know when Casey was going to propose. He was leaving for the Kohl's internship on May 26th, and I was thinking he would propose before then, but as time got closer and closer to when he was going to leave I lost hope. He would confuse me by saying, "It wouldn't be that bad if you had to wait to get a ring until the 4th of July, right?" (He was coming back to visit for my sister's wedding that weekend).

The week before he was going to leave we had stuff planned to do before he left, and one of them was to take a hike to Stuart Falls the night before he left to Milwaukee. I wasn't planning to get engaged before he left because he kept acting like my ring wouldn't be ready in time etc. Little did I know that he had hiked up to Stuart Falls three times the night and the morning before to scope out the place and get things ready. The hike takes about one hour up and one hour back so when we got to the falls I was pretty tired. Casey said he needed to go to the bathroom really bad so he'd go find a place in some bushes. I waited for a few minutes hoping I wouldn't be able to hear him pee. I finally heard him walking back out and I turned around and he was carrying a dozen roses! He said, "they have really pretty flowers up here huh." I knew something was up. He wrote me the sweetest poem, and said it to me memorized, and then he knelt down and proposed. It was very surreal.

The next morning I went to his apartment really early to see him before he left to Milwaukee. It was so sad knowing I wouldn't see him for six weeks. He drove off and I didn't stop crying for a week. I'm sure my family hated being around me! It was so sad to be engaged but not be able to see my fiance! It was great to be able to see him for a couple of days in July, but then he was off for five more weeks after that. Although being away from each other was horrible, I felt like it was a time that we grew closer together because we were able to talk to each other so much. Instead of just hanging out watching a movie, we were actually talking about important things.
On our way up to Stuart Falls!
I didn't have any idea what was going on. Good thing I didn't fall off that rock and ruin everything!
We're engaged now!

3 comments:

Laurel said...

Hi there....I'm Nate Payne's older sister (Casey was like my little brother growing up!) Anyway, I saw your link on Nate and Kelly's blog. I just wanted to tell you guys congratulations on the pregnancy! How exciting! It is so fun to see what everyone is up to! I'm sure you do all the blogging like me :) Tell Casey hi from us!

vanessa said...

Cute story!! I love how we all fall for that line - "the ring won't be here for another xx days/weeks". Seems so obvious in hindsight but maybe not to a young girl in love.

Kari said...

Hey, this is Aaron. Just read your blog and saw this:

"I waited for a few minutes hoping I wouldn't be able to hear him pee."

That was so funny I could barely keep from peeing myself!

"I'm sure my family hated being around me!"

I didn't have to live with you and I thought it was tough enough. Anyway, I enjoy reading your blog. Keep it coming! See you in Hawaii!