Tuesday, May 11, 2010

My Enemy

When I worked at the credit union I had an enemy.  An old lady hated me.  It all started when she said that I messed up her account somehow and that it was my fault that she didn’t have any money.  She called me a lot of bad names.  I cried.  I had no idea how someone could be so mean.  No one had ever been that mean to me, ever. 

After that day every time she walked into the bank I put my closed sign up, and let her get mad at someone else.  My coworkers had tougher skin than I did and they protected me from the mean old woman.  There were a few times that she snuck up and I had to help her and she was mean to me these times too.  Deliberately mean.  These times it was easier for me to brush it off though- I knew beforehand what to expect. 

When I quit my beloved job I tried to push out my memories of the mean old woman.  After time they were forgotten UNTIL recently.  No, I didn’t run into the mean old woman (thank goodness) but I did run into 3 other mean old women.  I know it’s partially my fault that I had these encounters because I do shop in the morning at places where old people congregate, but sadly I didn’t see any of them coming.  They came when I was weak.

By weak I mean trying to push a cart with one hand and keep Carly from standing up in the cart while putting my groceries on the conveyor belt.  An old lady rolled her eyes at me.  Another old lady told me Carly was making her nervous because she wasn’t sitting down in the cart.  Another old lady glared at me.  I thought why do old people hate me?  Why don’t any of them offer to help me?  Do they remember when they were in my shoes? (Probably not).

This instance wasn’t the only time this had happened to me in recent months.  I know that the majority of old people are nice, but why do the crusty old people follow me and watch my every move??? I blame it on the mean old woman from the credit union.  She’s recruiting. 

4 comments:

The Johnsons said...

I totally agree. I think the same thing. I have had many experiences like that. I always think, why can't they help instead of glaring and saying non tactful things. So it just makes me more determined to help someone out and be nice when I see someone else in my shoes.

Kim Shepherd said...

I know what you mean. When I worked at my credit union there was this one mean old lady in particular. She got mad at me once because we didn't have the number of rolls of nickels she wanted. I had a nightmare about it after with her coming in yelling at me "WHERE'S MY NICKELS?". I always had my co-workers help her after that. We didn't have closed signs at our stations so I would just have to hurry and walk away. There were a lot of old grumpy people at the credit union. I hate it when old people give me the "look" when I'm out shopping. I seriously think they have never had children if they are doing that but most of the time I think they have. I feel bad for these old peoples grandchildren. I'm glad my grandma is nice. Sorry I rambled on.

Kari said...

I remember you and I ran into a mean old lady at JoAnn's when I was there. You need to move to Texas where the people are nicer!

Tearsa said...

Seriously! They act like their kids were perfect and I am a terrible mother because my kid isn't. I think it's just the dementia kicking in. Or I am a way more fun mom :)