Friday, January 29, 2010

Things I love Fridays - Japan

I was able to travel to a lot of countries in my high school/college days and out of all my travels Japan is my favorite country of them all.  My dad went on his mission to Tokyo and wanted to go back and visit.  I had just graduated from high school and after taking Japanese in high school I really wanted to go try out my Japanese speaking skills. 

Growing up we had six Japanese students stay with us.  My parents have stayed in contact with one of them, Mikako.  We met up with her and her family.  Japanese people are seriously the most gracious people on earth.  If you tell them you like something they’re wearing they will literally take it off their back and give it to you.  My mom found that out the hard way… Mikako’s mom gave my mom one of her necklaces, and no you can’t give something back when it’s given to you. 

One of the things that I love about Japanese people is their traditional values.  No one locks up their bikes, no one talks on their cell phones on trains, no one eats in public areas, no one tips (my favorite), and no one throws their trash on the ground.  Japan is amazingly clean.

 Steps to Buddhist temple-Kamakura

Tokyo station.  Almost every man wears a white shirt and tie to work.

Tokyo Station

Asakusa gate.

scan0031

I make it a rule to always try foods at least once.  This is my sister and me eating ika (squid) at a shabu-shabu style restaurant.

Shabu-Shabu

Mikako’s parents gave my sister and me kimonos. 

scan0003

The Diabutsu (Great Buddha) in Kamakura.  It  has survived many tidal waves. It was built in 1252.  It still amazes me that I have seen something that old.  scan0023

Side of Dibutsu

I have been on many city’s train systems and Japan’s are by far the cleanest.  We always saw them being cleaned.

scan0006

Ready to get on the shinkansen (bullet train).Hikari Shinkansen

Ikebukoro, Tokyo.  My dad taking in all the nostalgia.

Downtown Ikebukuro

Girls still wear their kimonos around town.

Kimono girls

Our shabu-shabu meal.  I ate some weird nasty food there.

Murayama San-Shabu Shabu 

The Tokyo temple.Tokyo LDS Temple 2

The Tokyo skyline.Tokyo Skyline Yukatas

I love Japan.  Thanks for taking a trip down memory lane with me!

2 comments:

Yours, Mine, &, Crazy Daisy said...

Lindsey, love the post. Now I want to go!

Nick

Stewart Family said...

How fun. That is so funny, I took Japanese in High School and went to Japan after my senior year with my family too. I remember kimonos like the last photo from the hotel :o)