Monday, January 25, 2010

My Biggest Pet Peeve, Ever

Almost everyday I get an email from someone saying that if I forward that email to someone else I’ll get cash, gift cards, etc.  for everyone that I send it to.  I was just wondering if people ACTUALLY believe this???  Some of my very smart friends have sent me these types of emails many times and I personally know for a fact that they aren’t true but why do they think they’re true? 

Do they honestly think that a company is really going to send them a $50 gift card for every person they forward the email to?  While I love getting most emails, I do not like getting unverified false emails. 

There is even a website www.snopes.com where you can verify these types of emails before you pass them on.  Snopes uses many sources to deem these emails true or false. 

Here are some emails that I have gotten countless times.  After an easy lookup on Snopes.com here’s what I found out about them:

E.L.F. Cosmetics

Claim: E.L.F makeup has been bought by Nordstrom,  now all their makeup is 90% off before it starts being sold in Nordstrom. 

Consensus:This is FALSE.  E.L.F. makeup is not being bought by Nordstrom.  E.L.F. makeup is cheap and I do not like it. 

The Founding of Stanford

Claim: Mr. and Mrs. Leland Stanford started up their own university (Stanford) after their attempts to construct a statue in honor of their late son were turned down and laughed at by Harvard.

Consensus:  FALSE!  When I first read this email it tugged on my heartstrings.  how could Harvard be so mean I thought!  Truth is that Mr. and Mrs. Leland Stanford did start up Stanford but all the rest is made of fluff.  See more info here.

Bill Gates Hoax

Claim: Bill Gates is offering a $1000 reward for everyone who forwards his email.

Consensus: False, False, False!  Do people honestly believe this???  This email seems to be the most popular right now because I’ve gotten a lot of these with huge lists of people who the email has been forwarded to. 

There are also a lot more emails, urban legends, old wives tales, and even ways to get out stains that you can check the validity of on Snopes too.  There are many different categories. You can check the validity of just about anything.

I know that all of my readers would never send on an email that was unverified, but if anyone ever does wonder if an email is true then just check www.snopes.com Please?

Thank you

3 comments:

Patten Family said...

I hear ya Lindsey - I hate that forward crud...lol. I'm with ya sista!

Yours, Mine, &, Crazy Daisy said...

Lindsey, I have actually considered sending a message to all my friends asking them to not forward anything.
Nick

The Johnsons said...

I totally agree with you!!!