Thursday, August 27, 2009

Crafty in a Snappy

I’ve been in a crafty mood lately.  Sometimes I’m in a cooking mood, other times a reading mood, and sometimes I’m even in a cleaning mood.  It’s been nice to be in a crafty mood because I feel like I can make things for our house or for Carly that usually turn out cuter and cheaper than buying them.   Last week and this week I’ve done two new crafty things.  Both were way easy and cheap.

Yesterday I found a new contraption called the Mini Bowdabra.  It was only $5 so I thought I’d buy it and try it out.  The instructions stunk so I went online searching for info on how to use it.  When I finally figured it out I was amazed why I hadn’t made my own bows for Carly before!!!  It’s so easy and it makes the form for the bow really well.  You have to shape the bow afterwards a little bit but overall it’s really easy to use. 

DSC01161

So, I searched through my stash of craft items and found some cute ribbon and flowers to use and then I also found some ribbon at Michaels that was on clearance!  Next I bought some metal hair clippies and to my delight those were 50% off too.  I figured out that to make one bow it costs me about  20 cents!  In about 2 hours yesterday I made all of these bows.  DSC01157

Of course on the ones without bows I didn’t use the Bowabdra.  I still have a lot of cute ribbon with different designs that I’m excited to make more bows with. 

The other crafty thing that I completed was a mirror for Carly’s room.  I found this at Goodwill:

DSC01064

I thought that it had some potential and I had a vision of what I could do with it.  First I painted it maroon and planned to hang it in our living room.  The result was something that I hadn’t pictured so I tried Plan B and this is what it looks like:DSC01150

DSC01151

I ended up painting it hot pink. It looks kind of orange in the pictures but it matches the bow holder.  I really like how it turned out.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

That mirror turned out so cute! I love it!!

And I need a bowdabra!! I've been looking for cute bows for Summer and it's hard to find anything that I like...and that don't cost an arm and a leg.

I have toooons of ribbon...maybe we should have a ribbon making party? You can use my ribbon if I can use your bowdabra! ;)

Linda said...

Wow! I seriously need one of those! I hate spending a lot of money on clips that Samantha just loses. This way I wouldn't feel bad if she loses one. I am so impressed with your crafting, you have an eye for great finds!

We are 3. said...

So cute! You don't think Carson would mind wearing a bow, do you? It's the cute things like this that makes me wish I had a girl! One day, one day, well... maybe!

Bryant & Kathie Hatch said...

You are so crafty. Awesome finds!

Kari said...

Fun bows! I hope I have a girl someday! You are inspiring me to check out my local Goodwill.

Jodee Luke said...

that mirror is so dang cute linz! way to step up and show all those retailers whose boss!

family edge said...

Way to be crafty, Linds!! They turned out cute! It's fun having a girl, huh!?