Friday, February 27, 2009

I'm a believer

I've been reading so many baby sleep books lately and I love this one. I've become more interested in getting Carly in a sleeping routine now that she is more predictable and sleeps longer stretches at night. Ever since she got sick she has been sleeping horribly, which is to be expected, but I think she got used to waking up every 1.5 hours to eat. She also started waking up at 4:00 a.m. even after she was a lot better. I think she got used to being able to eat so much at night and I wanted to make sure to get her out of that habit FAST! I started implementing the "sleep techniques" in Dr. Weissbluth's book and the results have been immediate! It has been amazing.

Instead of trying to keep her awake until 9:00 p.m.-10:00 p.m. (thinking that she'll sleep in longer) Casey and I have put her down when she first starts getting tired at night - around 7:30. Last night she went to sleep at 7:30 p.m. ,woke up a little at 8:30, but went right back to sleep, then woke up at 2:00 a.m. to eat and then she slept until 8:00 a.m. It's been nice to only have to wake up once and sleep in past 4:00 a.m.! Now I love this book so much. Here's to more sleep!

5 comments:

Linda said...

I read a million sleep books and I agree 100%. I love this book! I used it with both of my kids until they were toddlers! It's by far my favorite.

Bryant & Kathie Hatch said...

Wow, that's great. I don't think there were any books about it when you kids were little. I just muddled along.

Unknown said...

I love this book too! Summer is SO much more enjoyable when she's had her sleep! It's hard for me to send her to bed so early, but I keep telling myself it's the best thing for her, and she won't be sleeping this much forever!

Ruth said...

Thats the book I read too. A lot of people (family) thought we were crazy putting Lizzie to bed at 7-7:30 but it makes a big difference. She still goes to bed at that time and never complains.

Val said...

I also love this book. I don't know what I would do without it. I'm glad it's working for you guys. We put Oaklee to bed between 6:00 and 6:30pm and she sleeps till 6:30 or 7am. It's awesome!