Monday, February 25, 2008

Sometimes I Pass Out

Today it felt really warm in Milwauks. Come to find out it was 35 degrees. This weekend was very relaxing. Because Fridays are my busiest days I am always so excited for Saturday and Sunday. My class on Friday was alright. I mention my class because my pass out phobia came back on Friday right before class.

For people that don't know about my pass out phobia, it all started my Senior year of high school when I passed out in my anatomy class. We were watching an animated movie about how bones break, and I passed out and hit my head really hard on the desk behind me. I woke up and found a random kind in my class putting a paper towel on my forehead. Since then there have been a lot of times when I feel like I'm going to pass out, and I get really scared and make myself almost pass out. In my PDBio 220 class at BYU (Cadaver lab class) I would have to walk out of class almost every day for a few minutes and regroup. I think it's all mental because I thought this phobia left me because of recent events that took place in which I did not pass out when I would have otherwise passed out (does that makes sense?) Anyway, I was looking over my syllabus before I had to leave to class on Friday and I read the topic, "Implantable Devices." I know this topic doesn't sound worthy of a pass out, but from my experiences in Audiology classes about "Implantable Devices," it is the most pass out worthy of any Audiological topic.

Side note: Implantable devices (Cochlear implants, middle ear implants...) are put into the ear by drilling a hole into the mandible after which a hole is drilled into the cochlea (inner ear). I could go on for days about how yucky this process is, but the worst part is having to watch this surgery take place! In one of my classes at BYU I had to leave class early because I felt the pass out coming on from watching this exact thing (and seeing a picture of a bug in a guy's ear).

So, I was debating on whether I should go to class or not. I was afraid that I would have to get up and leave during class or I'd throw up or something. I talked myself into going. I couldn't skip a class that I paid $1,200 for! To make a long story short, I was fine. The movie we watched didn't show any surgery stuff, and I had plenty of pretzels to snack on to keep my mind off of the topic.
Other than Friday, the rest of the weekend was great. We went to the temple on Saturday, then to Famous Dave's afterwards. We heard from a friend that Famous Dave's was really good. It was good but the ambiance wasn't so good.

1 comment:

Kari said...

I'm glad you didn't pass out because I wouldn't have been able to come rescue you like before!