Saturday, September 27, 2008

Reality check

A few days ago at work I had to deposit some checks for a co-worker who was opening up an account for a couple. She said I would probably have to verify the checks because the couple just moved from out of state. I looked at one of the checks and it was from Utah! I got so excited that there might be some normal people in the credit union. I told my co-worker to point out the couple to me after she was finished with them so I could go talk to them. They ended up coming to me to withdraw some money and I knew it was them because they looked like a young Mormon couple from Utah here for medical school. I immediately asked if they were from Utah and I probably sounded a little too excited while I was asking them. They said yes, and nothing else. They were not nice. They were not friendly. They made me sad. They made me feel so dumb for being excited that I actually apologized to them for my excitement in seeing people from Utah at my work. To this they only looked at me more unfriendly-like. My dreams of being able to small talk with them about how ghetto my work is while laughing at some Mormon inside jokes were crashed, and instead they just stared at me and only said something to correct me when I gave them 20's and they wanted 10's. I was so disappointed; why can't all people from Utah be friendly and normal like I naively expect them to be?

No comments: